We are, once again, going to try to provide Christmas for several families on the Tohono O'odham Reservation. Last year was such a huge success, and we want to thank those that participated. Out of all the things (activities, events, etc) that we have ever done since living here, the "Adopt a Child for Christmas" campaign has been my favorite thing to do hands down. It is such a joy to see a child's face light up when they see that someone cared enough about them to get them specific presents that they need!
This year we are expanding the "Adopt a Child for Christmas" campaign from 2 to 3 villages: Chuichu, Cockleburr, and Kohatk. We are expecting to be able to provide Christmas (with your help of course) to about 150 children. For many of these children, the presents that they get through this ministry will be the only presents that they receive.
|Isn't she just precious?|
Please do not miss out on this opportunity to be involved in a child's life this Christmas!!!!!
Here's what you need to do to get involved:
1. Contact us either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or on facebook or by phone to let us know how many children you would like to provide Christmas for. (If you have been on a mission trip to the T.O. Reservation before and have a specific child or children in mind, you may request them.) Please pass this along to your church, small group, youth group, etc. We have at least 150 kids that we need to provide for.
2. After we hear from you, we will email you a list of things you should know specific to the child. We have already passed out forms for the families to fill out. You will know specific details such as age of the child, size of clothes and shoes, specific interests or toys that the child likes, and anything they are in need of.
3. Then you may either shop and buy the presents or send us the money that you would like to put forth for the presents. We give this option because we know that everyone is different in how they like to do things. We know that some people love to actually pick out the presents themselves (it feels more real this way and like they are apart of your family), but we also know that some people live across the country and prefer not to spend the money on shipping the presents to us. Although the majority of people chose to actually buy the presents and send them last year, we still had about 20 that chose to just send the money and let us do the buying. This is completely up to you and your family/church/Sunday school class/small group. Either way you choose will be appreciated!!!
4. We don't really give a certain amount of money that you have to spend, but we ask that you at least get the child some clothes and at least one thing that is fun or that they are interested in. I would say the majority of people spend around $50 per child. If you want to do more, that is fine. We just ask that you don't go overboard. Most children will have brothers and sisters and we don't want one child to have an Xbox and the other child to get a book. Does that make sense?
Also, it seems silly to have to say this, but please make sure the presents that you send are NEW. Our goal in providing the children Christmas presents is not just so they have something to open up on Christmas morning. Our goal is to share Christ with them and their families. We make contact with many families during this Christmas ministry that we otherwise would not be able to. If we give them hand-me-downs or used presents for Christmas, the message we send is that they are not worth our best. We want them to feel like they are apart of our family. We want them to know that they are valued and loved. We want them to know that God sent his best- His Son Jesus to earth in the form of a human to be born and live and ultimately die for us and them. We want them to understand that the reason we love them and buy them presents for Christmas is because of the overflow of love we have for them because of the love God has for us. We want them to know Jesus too!!!
5. The deadline for sending us money or presents is Friday, December 7. This means that we need them at our house by this date. Please do not mail them on this date. We need at least a week to sort through all the presents, purchase those that have sent the money, wrap the presents that are not already wrapped, etc. before we hand them out. Our address is: PO Box 2237, Sacaton, AZ 85147. If you would like to use UPS or FedEx please get in contact with us for our physical address.
6. Please fill free to send cards or letters to the child as well. You don't have to do this, but I think the child and family would enjoy it. On another note, I asked the families to include their address on the forms that they fill out so that if you choose to, you may write to them throughout the year.
7. Several people asked last year if they could also send something that could be for the whole family to enjoy. Of course you can! This is not something that you have to do, but feel free if you would like.
After all the presents are in and sorted and wrapped, we will have a special service in each of the villages the week of December 17-21. Each village will have their own night. This year we are going to have a potluck meal, a church service to share the true meaning of Chrismas, and then pass out the presents to each child. I promise to take lots of pictures and try to capture what it was like to be there.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in contact with us.
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing God be glorified through you this Christmas!